Digital marketing and e-commerce are the focal points for marketers and sales managers in the foodservice industry. This is evident in our daily experiences. But what does it take to stand out digitally? How can you become a true Digital Innovator?
There hasn’t been extensive research on Digital Innovation, with the most notable being that of Prof. George Westerman from MIT (Cambridge, USA). It is well-documented and accessible in the book Leading Digital.
In Westerman’s research, the MIT team is looking for the ‘capabilities’ that Digital Innovators have in common. Additionally, the researchers seek to understand the significance of innovation and how organizations can embrace digital transformation to stay competitive and capitalize on growth opportunities.
What are Digital Innovators?
A genuine Digital Innovator is an organization that utilizes digital technologies better than its competitors, contributing to its profitability.
The use of digital technology focuses on two areas:
1. Operations. including current office automation, with capabilities like video calling and online collaboration through Teams or Slack. It also encompasses reporting and dashboards (business intelligence) or modern CRM systems supporting marketing, sales, and customer service.
2. Customer contact. involving digital advertising, presence on online platforms, customer service via live chat, emailings, and websites functioning as information and sales channels, etc.
There are numerous digital technologies that could be mentioned in addition to the above, such as the impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI) on all business areas. No wonder Westerman came up with the ‘first law of digital transformation’. And it reads:
“Technology changes rapidly, but organizations change much more slowly.”
Digital innovation requires leadership
Organizations find it challenging to keep up with new technological possibilities, not because the technology is difficult, but because the organization is complex. It involves familiarizing people in the organization with new technology, ensuring they want to use it, They need to be trained in the technology and in adapting to a new way of working.
Introducing new technology is relatively simple, but successfully using it in the organization requires leadership. Digital leaders have the ability to respond quickly to market changes, with flexibility and agility considered critical success factors in the digital era.
Proficient in digital and leadership
Digital Innovators need to be proficient in both digital and leadership aspects, as emphasized by Westerman in his research. It’s this combination that leads to profitability.
· Insights from data are meaningless if they are not used,
·Online campaigns are not possible without a good follow-up by sales,
· CRM systems won’t support you in your work if you don’t know how they work.
Quite logical, isn’t it?
More articles about Digital Innovation
This is the first article in a series of 5 on Digital Innovation. The following articles will cover:
2. Customer Experience. What do Digital Innovators do better, making them excel in Customer Experience?
3. Operations. Digitization of the operation ensures standardization and tight process control. Does that fit in a modern, innovative organization?
4. The organization. What can you do to include the organization in your vision of digitization?
Some find GROUP7 to be a unique agency. We specialize in the digital techniques used in marketing and sales, particularly in the food business.
Additionally, we have an organizational and change management approach. If you’ve read the above article, you understand why. We aim to transform our clients into Digital Innovators. If you want to know more, you are always welcome. Send an email to Martin van Dam or call <+31 6 206 08 662>